April saw no insurgency-backed violence in Thailand’s Deep South, the first month without attacks in 16 years

There was no insurgency-backed violence in Thailand’s Deep South for the month of April, the first time in sixteen years that there were no insurgency attacks taking place in a given month.

Thailand’s three southern Muslim-majority provinces of Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat have been embroiled in a separatist insurgency for the better part of two decades. Over 7,000 people have been killed by violence and many more injured during that time.

However, the coronavirus outbreak has prompted an ad-hoc ceasefire between the Thai government forces and the separatist.

One of the militant groups (Barisan Revolusi Nasional) operating in the area released a statement on Friday saying that the “cessation of all activities” is “to provide humanitarian access to all parties to respond to the Covid-19 epidemic.”

The group said that the ceasefire was to remain as long as the BRN was not attacked by the Thai government, according to documents shared by Human Rights Watch’s Sunai Phasuk

The BRN also criticized the government for continuing house searches, arbitrary arrests, and DNA collection.

“We call upon the [Royal Thai Government] to reciprocate and prioritize Covid-19 prevention over war at this time.”

The Thai government could not be reached for comments on the matter. Calls to the Internal Security Operations Command were not returned.

Peace talks on pause

Peace talks between the BRN and the Thai Government have progressed in recent months but have been derailed by the coronavirus outbreak.

In March, both sides met in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur for face-to-face meetings six years after the BRN’s last dialogue with the government.

Talks were described as constructive and were focused on reducing the levels of violence.

However, the outbreak of coronavirus in Thailand has seen the government place its priorities elsewhere as lockdown measures were put in place to curtail the virus’ spread.

Sources within the Thai army tell Thai Enquirer that right now the army and the Ministry of Public Health were focused on containing the violence in the south which is the site of the largest outbreak outside of Bangkok.

“The insurgency and peace talks can wait until after we have this under control,” one high ranking source within the army told Thai Enquirer on the condition of anonymity.

[Correction: Original article stated that there was no insurgency-related violence but has been corrected to insurgent attacks. The Thai government has continued some operations in the area.]

Advertisement -


No new coronavirus cases in Thailand on Tuesday

Thailand’s government said on Thursday that it had discovered no new cases of coronavirus in the last...
Advertisement -
Advertisement -

Latest article

Student leaders say they are unconcerned with politicians urging caution

Student leaders told Thai Enquirer on Wednesday that they were unconcerned with political parties urging caution after a controversial rally on Monday...

Right-wing Thai media takes aim at student protesters arguing Monday’s rally had crossed the line

Following a large student rally at Thammasat University on Monday, right-wing conservative media over the last 48 hours have taken aim at...

7.5 per cent surge on MAKRO shares due to strong second-quarter results

Siam Makro PCL (MAKRO) shares rose up by 7.45 per cent to 43.25 baht per share on Tuesday morning trade (11:00 a.m.),...

Forums to communicate with protestors will be set up around the country within a week, Prayut said

Forums will be set up around the country by mid-August to listen to the student protestors’ grievances and demands, Prime Minister Prayut...

Managing-director of Italian-Thai receives prison sentence for illegal possession of rifle

On Tuesday, Thailand’s Appeals Court sentenced Premchai Karnasut, the president of Italian-Thai Development Corp, to six months in jail for possessing a...

No new coronavirus cases in Thailand on Tuesday

Thailand’s government said on Thursday that it had discovered no new cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours.