Thailand discovers seven more cases of coronavirus but all eyes are on Rayong

The government said on Tuesday that it had discovered an additional seven cases of coronavirus bringing the total number of infected to 3,227.

There were no more deaths and one more recovery with the number of discharged now at 3,091.

However, all eyes are on Rayong where an Egyptian military official who was infected with COVID was allowed to enter the kingdom without going through state quarantine.

Rayong

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, the spokesperson for the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said that a group of 31 Egyptian delegations entered Thailand via U-Tapao International Airport on July 8.

Only three of the 27 members of the delegation were wearing face masks while in the kingdom.

Government officials are now looking other CCTV footages at the airport, hotel, and department stores to identify people who have come to close contact with the Egyptian delegation for testing. 

So far, they have identified nine people who were in close contact with the delegation with a high risk of infection including seven hotel staffs and two van drivers.

The Rayong City Municipality has on Tuesday ordered the closure of six schools and two nurseries for precaution. Thai media have been reporting the closure of 11 schools but calls to the municipality by Thai Enquirer confirmed eight.

According to sources within the Ministry of Public Health, the CCSA is considering imposing a full city-wide quarantine in Rayong and restricting travel to and from the province should there be additional cases of coronavirus.

(Thai Netizens have been outraged by the allowing of the Egyptian delegation to enter Thailand: Read more here)

Bangkok

The government said on Tuesday that a nine-year-old from a United Nations family returning from Sudan had tested positive for coronavirus. The family had been in self-quarantine but the child was allowed to wander around the building including the common areas. The building is Condo One X in the Sukhumvit Area.

So far, none of the people who came into close contact with the child, including family members, have tested positive for the virus but the Ministry of Public Health say they will closely follow those who have come into contact with the child.

(Reporting by Erich Parpart, Cod Satrusayang, and Pear Maneechote)

COVID-19

Government to lock down parts of southern provinces

The government is looking to lock down some areas in the southernmost provinces as the Covid-19 outbreak situation in...

Latest article